.

.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Bookish and Non-Bookish Thoughts...

Halloween is nigh, which means that I've been watching AMC Fear Fest and loving it!  How could I not enjoy a day filled with all of the Halloween movies or a Friday the 13th marathon? This week its all about The Walking Dead.  A great way to catch up on all the seasons just in time for the season 7 premiere on Sunday at 9pm - OMG!!! I can't wait to find out who got Lucille(d).  My fingers are crossed that Glenn, Michonne, and Darryl are spared.  Of course with TWD, you never know what will happen.  My sister is convinced that it will be Glenn, especially after last season's, "Did Glenn die?" episode.  I'm banking on Abraham, because he was happy, he fell in love, and he was planning a future - happy usually equals dead.  Anyhow, the wait is almost over - at last!!  By the by, is it so wrong that I can't help but think that Negan is very good-looking? Its hard not to, especially with Jeffrey Dean Morgan playing him.  And I have to admit that every time he appears on screen in the trailers I can't help but think of him as Denny from Grey's.  I loved him on that show and it looks like now I'm going to love to hate him on TWD

Aside from watching AMC Fear Fest, I've been reading, reading, and reading.  There are so many great books/ARCs to read lately and I am gobbling them all up.  Or at least I'm trying to.  Here are a few of the titles I've recently read and LOVED:
Talk about variety! These five books range from horror to romance and captivated me for days.  I really enjoyed them all.  Of course, now I'm trying to figure out what to read next. I started the new Roxane Gay book of short stories, Difficult Women, but I can't seem to decide whether I like what I'm reading or not.  So far, I've enjoyed a few of the stories, but the rest read like Lifetime movies to me.  Not sure I want to keep reading.  Maybe I'll just put it aside for now.  I was thinking of reading the new Murakami book of short stories, Men Without Women.  I was approved for an ARC - thank you, Edelweiss!! One can never go wrong with Murakami.  Except, I will admit to being slightly disappointed when I read the table of contents for his new book.  Seems that I've already half of the short stories, so its not exactly a new-to-me book.  Hmm...what to read?  What do you recommend?  What are you reading?  Have you read The Mothers by Brit Bennett?  I heard it was excellent and I'm supposed to receive a copy today.  Maybe I'll dive into that book.  I'm not sure why I always find it to difficult to pick a new read after I've been on a reading jag.  Too much to choose from? Either way, I want to read something, but I'm just not sure what I want to read. 

Aside from the reading, I've been baking.  I made a skull cake that we devoured.  I plan on making monster cupcakes for my sister's office - they are always a big hit.  And I want to make some banana bread and scones.  I just a need a flat white to get me through all the baking. 

I was de-cluttering (again) and found some old CDs that I'd forgotten about.  I wound up listening to Luscious Jackson as I drove around running errands.  Talk about blast from the past. I remember listening to that CD all the time in college.  Now, I couldn't help but wonder why I loved it so much back then.  It was nice change from my recent obsession with Nelly Furtado's music.  Of course, now I'm all about Mike Mills latest musical effort, Concerto for Violin, Rock Band & Orchestra.  As a huge R.E.M. fan, I was stoked to listen to this:
Pretty cool, eh?

And now I'm off to flip through the latest issue of O magazine and then watch some more episodes of TWD.  Happy reading!!

6 comments:

Lark said...

I always watch the Halloween movies on AMC at this time of year, too. It's become my own little October tradition. And they better not kill off Glenn on TWD! :)

Brandie said...

So glad to see you liked Always!!! I'm planning on reading it this weekend for the readathon, I think.

I have been recording movies from AMC all week. We haven't had time to watch them, but I'm hoping next week we'll catch up.

Cake sounds amazing right now. ;)

Love these posts!

Nadia said...

Lark, me too! Its a great October tradition :) I know! Glenn better live! :)

Brandie, I did. I loved it. Such a good book. I even teared up a bit. You are going to love it. I know how much you enjoy her books :) I love that you record the movies - you are going to LOVE them all :) AMC Fear Fest is so much fun. Cake always sounds amazing - LOL! Thanks!!

Terra said...

French Rhapsody is an interesting title. We watch The Walking Dead too, and it is starting again tonight so I haven't watched the new season yet. I close my eyes at certain gory scenes and looking at the end of last season's finale, somebody must die!

Nadia said...

Terra, the new Laurain was excellent - such a fun read. TWD is a favorite around here, too. Last night's ep was too sad - I'm still processing it :(

Lisa said...

You've been a baking machine! I love to bake but just can't have all of the goodies sitting around my house. Need to follow your lead and send them off other places!